Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Clutter Control

POSTED Sunday, September 9, 2007: Is it Sunday night already? That's pretty much my mantra most Sunday evenings about 9pm. Then I usually get the "guilts" because I didn't finish everything on my to-do list this weekend. You know, the one you put together on Friday, when you think the weekend (like childhood summers) will go on forever? The one in which you need bionic speed in order to successful put that little (ahhhh) check mark in the box next to every and every stinkin' little thing? Yep, that's the one.

But, I must admit, I did tackle one magilla project over the weekend, one that's been looming (and growing) for awhile now... cleaning, uncluttering, and organizing the home office. I actually have a desk and a tabletop, who knew? I dusted, I pulled files, I shredded, I schlepped out bag after bag of garbage. I tell you, it was affirming and heady, and by the time I crawled upstairs last night (after about 10 hours of work), I felt utterly exhausted, completely sore, and supremely satisfied. Oh, don't get me wrong, there's still more to to - a box labeled "stuff to read", and another labeled "filing", but tomorrow's another day (she blogs in her best Scarlett O'Hara imitation).

I find that the clutter in my office (and purse, and house) -- the exterior of my life -- seems to be in direct correlation to my interior clutter. The more hassled and tight and crazy (and out of control) I feel on the inside, the more it shows on the outside. It puts a whole new spin on the "garbage in, garbage out" theory, doesn't it? More importantly to note, my inside cluttermania always expands (as clutter will) into the quiet time of my life -- it pushes out those precious moments with Christ, in my head and in my day. It crams its way into every nook and cranny of life's hours, and before I know it, the hours are gone, and I haven't taken time to walk beside the quiet waters (see Psalm 23) with my Lord, resting in His love and companionship.

It's so easy to let life and tasks get between us and our time with the Lord. Make the choice today to prioritize your walk/talk/time with Him as the A#1 first things first "written in red" top of the to-do list in your planner or on your blackberry or your strawberry or wherever you write down your "stuff"! It's amazing how that will move away our spiritual clutter, and give us a whole new perspective on the day.

I found a great article in one of my favorite magazines, Discipleship Journal, on spiritual clutter. It can be found at http://www.navpress.com/EPubs/DisplayArticle/1/1.107.9.html. I encourage you to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment