Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's That Time of Year

POSTED Thursday, September 13, 2007: I had one of those pressing days today. Squeezed by the alarm clock that didn't go off this morning. Crunched in bumper-to-bumper traffic delays in my morning commute. Pressured by deadlines at work. I felt like Uncle Fester, one of the characters on the old 60’s TV Show, The Adams’ Family, when he used to rummage around the house with that giant vice grip on his head. But blessedly, 5 o’clock rolled around, I walked out of the office into a beautiful September evening, and I took a deep breath in… then went for my mammogram. A perfect ending to a perfect day.

Fortunately, I go to a very caring Women’s Center, which is a wonderful place for such torture. It’s clean, a welcoming unclinical waiting room, and a friendly (and speedy) technician, bless her heart. So there I am, in all my glory, standing in my lovely ensemble of a blue cotton gown, accessorized by steel ball-bearings, as I am transformed into a human walking advertisement for I-Hop. I can’t help but think of the Bible verse of Romans 12:1-2, especially the version that says “…don’t let the world squeeze you into its mold…”!

When all was said and done, as I walked out of the hospital into the still beautiful September evening, I saw a breathtaking sunset, painted in shades of pinks and purples and navy blues. I took another deep breath in, and counted my blessings. It wasn’t such a bad day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment