Friday, November 16, 2012

Come to Me

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." 

I have read this verse so many times, especially when I was tired and needed rest.  But this morning, as I was spending devotional time with God, what hit me fresh in the face was the image of Jesus.  He stands in front of me, stretching out his nail-pierced hand, and with unspeakable tenderness and love whispers, "Come to Me..."  I find myself catching my breath and feeling tears streaming down my face.

Jesus, Lord of the Universe, Creator of Heaven and Earth, wants me. 

We all want to be loved and cherished.  We all want to belong to someone and share our lives in love.  How often do we watch as the media shows as a man kneels down, hand outstretched to the woman he loves, asking her for her hand in marriage?  Isn't a woman's heart meant to be thrilled by that kind of love?

And yet here I am, faced with the reality that Jesus Himself is asking me to be His bride - to come to Him and let Him love me forever.  To be wrapped up in His loving arms for all eternity.  He will never leave me, never divorce me, never hurt me.  I can be myself with Him, because He always knows the good/bad/ugly of me.  I don't have to pretend to be perfect, or worry about saying the wrong thing and feeling vulnerable and foolish and scared in His presence. 

He will always be there to listen, to encourage, to share His wisdom for my life.  He will protect me, be my ultimate knight in shining armor and love me unconditionally and sacrifically... always.  He laid down His life for me already... and conquered death... for me.  For me...

Jesus, as I write this with the tears blurring my vision, I once again say yes.  In my head I see myself resting my head against You as You wrap your arms around me and hold me close.  Draw me close to you... never let me go...

I love You.