Friday, November 12, 2010

My Thirty Day Faith Dare – Day Twelve

Woman of Worth – Dare to Believe You are God’s Treasure and of Great Value to God

Deuteronomy 7:6 (Message) God, your God, chose you out of all the people on Earth for Himself as a cherished, personal treasure.

Today’s Truth: Isaiah 46:4 – Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you.

Today’s Dare: Believe You are God’s Treasure and of Great Value to God

Author:
W wonderful worth
O ordained for God’s purposes
M managing life by faith
A attitude of thanks and praise
N nearer to God each day

The enemy wants you to think you are worthless. It’s a lie. The truth stands: you are precious, loved and valued.

Today’s Truth is speaking to me…

Ohhhhhhhkay… scalpel time again, isn’t it? Let’s cut through another layer to get to the truth. And I wanted to do this blog so that my transparency might help someone else? Hmmm… maybe this wasn’t such a great idea; maybe walking around in my underwear at the mall might be easier…

When I was younger, I traded on my looks. I was a model at one point, and most of my under 40 years were spent identifying myself and finding my worth in my appearance. Desperate to be perfect, it led me into some pretty dark and scary places, including a ten year affair with an eating disorder. I’d be lying if I said it’s hard to sometimes look in the mirror now, with the “laugh lines” and the blonde-but-roots-are-all-grey hair. Nowadays I can be fairly invisible in a crowd.

Oh, I’m not saying I hate the way I look, but just recently I had someone ask me for the first time if I was a grandmother, and my vanity was squarely kicked in the booty as I ran off to the phone book to look up the nearest plastic surgeon… Botox, neck lifts, what is that under???? I looked at my bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release and thought, “Gee, will this work on my face?” We are, after all, close to Thanksgiving, and I’m giving the turkey a run for his money with this neckline I’ve been developing. This whole beautiful on the inside is highly over-rated in this youthful world of ours. And yet, when I look at so many once beautiful 40+ women who have turned to plastic surgery and now just look like they shouldn’t stand too close to the fireplace or their faces will melt, well, it gives pause to any temptation to “get freshened up”!

Most every woman I meet wants to look attractive, to be her personal best and desirable, regardless if she’s nineteen or ninety. We want to be loved and treasured at any age. That’s why today’s chapter was so important, even though it tackles a really sensitive issue for me – looks/personal value.

When I raise my face up towards Heaven, my Savior calls me beautiful. I am cherished, loved and treasured by my Lord – to Him, I am everything. He adores me and sings over me and can’t get enough of me. Sigh… and how often can any woman say that at any age?

It has taken me many years to begin to see my worth through His eyes. Obviously, if you’ve read any of the other journey entries, it’s easy to see I’m still struggling with the whole worthiness identity. However, some days are better than others, and when I put my focus and trust on Christ, my Mirror, I see the most beautiful me there has ever been, because I’m reflecting Him.

God is asking me to…
Forget the identity my mirror and the world tell me I am, and realize my worth and beauty and value are all in Him, and He is just crazy about me.

My challenge is to…
Believe that consistently, especially on the days everything else screams the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment